Use the Facebook Grid Tool to and avoid 20% Text Limit Ad Rejection
Facebook Grid Tool
A common question we receive is regarding Ads being rejected by Facebook. Most ads are rejected for containing more than 20% text within your image.
Facebook give us access to their self-policing tool called 'Facebook Grid Tool' which allows you to check if your image may pass their guidelines. It is not a perfect tool and sometimes your add may pass with more than 20% text & we have even seen ads with less than 20% text being refused. With that in mind, treat this too as more of an indicator than anything else!
Steps on Using the Grid Tool
- Go to the grid tool.
- Click Browse to upload an image you want to use in your ad.
- Click Show grid to display the image within the 5×5 grid.
- Click on the boxes that contain text. If text is present in 6 or more boxes, then the image more than likely has more than 20% text and may not eligible to be used in an ad in News Feed.
- If your image has more than 20% text, you can edit your ad.
More detailed instructions can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/help/468870969814641
Still Not 100% Sure?
Although Facebook say that elements such as pictures of products that include text on the actual product is exempt from their policy, be careful! At the end of the day, it is a bot scanning your image & we have seen ads being rejected, likely due to the fact that the product image text was picked up as foreground text.
Try Boosting Your Posts Again
You might have seen this message recently show up if you run ads on Facebook. Facebook do update their advertising software regularly & are improving all the time so if you feel that a previously rejected ad may be approved this time round, give it a go!
Text in Images
Ads must not include added or excessive text that comprises more than 20% of the image.
The 20% text policy doesn't include:
• Pictures of products that include text on the actual product (ex: book covers, album covers, movie posters).
• Embedded text on images of games and apps.
• Cartoons where text is part of the cartoon.
The 20% text policy does include:
• Logos and slogans.
• Images with text overlay (ex: watermarks).
• Images that are clearly edited to include text on the product as a loophole to policy.
Keep in mind text will be marked even if it occupies only a small portion of a box in the grid tool.
The only thing we consider text in this image is the logo on the bottom left.
The amount of text in this image exceeds our 20% policy and would not be allowed in an ad.